Tuesday 8 April 2014

Climbing wall, week 3.


I was hoping to keep posting some daily, or at least frequent climbing wall progress updates. But the chain 16+ hour days working on it kept me rather busy. It has come on a lot over the past week.


All the ply is now on and tidied up with a mission of long hours and going for it with Scott Muir from Dream Climbing Walls. Now the structure is built, it’s up to me to get it all finished. Last night was a bit ridiculous, still washing sanding dust off it at 4am. But today the first coat of paint has been going on and it’s looking great.


I took a couple of days off after Scott left and went to Glasgow. I managed to get my hands on some of Malcolm Smith’s new resin holds which are launching in a couple of weeks under the brand Stonesmith. They are pretty cool and I’ll post up some pics as soon as the paint dries on the wall and I can get them on.

I’ve also been making some of my own holds from hardwood. I’ve never had the tools for working with wood before, but have accumulated some better tools over the past year and I’m really keen to get better at making nice holds. Well made wooden holds are something a bit special. 


Not too long now before I can get rockshoes on and start training on this beast!




2 comments:

  1. When we used to have Scott's training wall in one of our sheds over at Crieff, my dad's workshop was consistently churning out hardwood holds for tooling training; really nice to have the sacrificial wood holds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    Which tools are ideally used for making wooden holds?

    I prefer wooden holds over resin, since they're skin friendly and cheap, but I don't know which tools are best used for making them.

    Any advice would be really appreciated.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete